Celebrate the summer with this made-ahead Christmas dessert. Semifreddo is an Italian word meaning “half cold.” This dessert has the light, airy texture of frozen mousse. The kawa kawa jelly and blueberry add a little Christmas magic here.
Ingredients: 6 -8 Serves
2 cups chilled cream
5 large egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup Manaaki Kawa kawa jelly
1 cup fresh blueberry
fresh thyme leaves to garnish
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare the custard. In a large heatproof bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Set the bowl over a hot water bath and whisk constantly until the mixture is thick. Remove the bowl from the water bath. Add the vanilla. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolk mixture until thick and pale, about 5 minutes. The mixture should be about double in size. Chill the mix completely.
- Gently fold in the whipped cream into the egg yolk mixture.
- Gently add the semifreddo mixture to a ceramic casserole dish. Give it a good tap on the work surface to remove any air pockets. Transfer to a freezer and freeze for about 30 minutes until thick. Decorate the Semifreddo with the blueberries and kawa kawa jelly. Return to freezer for at least 8 hours or overnight (Set your freezer on the lowest temperature settings).
- Remove the semifreddo from the freezer and allow it to sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes, then decorate with a few thyme sprigs and serve. Enjoy!